Meaning of 'AJMAN in English
also spelled 'ujman, constituent emirate of the United Arab Emirates (formerly Trucial States, or Trucial Oman); the smallest state of the country. It is composed of three sections; the principal portion, on the Persian Gulf coast, is completely surrounded by the emirate of ash-Shariqah. This section is the site of 'Ajman town, the capital and only urban settlement. 'Ajman also includes two interior exclaves (noncontiguous sections) on the Oman promontory, the horn of the Arabian Peninsula. They are tiny al-Manamah, 37 miles (60 km) east-southeast of 'Ajman town, and Masfut, 56 miles (90 km) southeast of 'Ajman town, in the Hatt Wadi, at the promontory's base. Estimated total area is 100 square miles (250 square km). The sheikh of 'Ajman signed the British-sponsored General Treaty of Peace, abjuring piracy, in 1820; this was 'Ajman's first recognition as an autonomous state. It also subscribed to the maritime truce of 1835 and to the Perpetual Maritime Truce in 1853. To forestall Turkish and French expansion along the Trucial Coast, the sheikhs, including 'Ajman's ruler, signed an Exclusive Agreement (1892), placing their foreign relations in the hands of the British government. In 1968, Britain announced its forthcoming withdrawal from the Persian Gulf area. Negotiations were begun to create a nine-member federation (including 'Ajm an, the six other Trucial States, Bahrain, and Qatar). The latter two states abandoned the proposed federation and became separately independent (August and September 1971). The British left the area in December 1971, and the United Arab Emirates was formed, of which 'Ajman was an original constituent. Economically, 'Ajman is the poorest member of the United Arab Emirates. Shortly after 1900, when the sheikh's influence extended only a few miles from 'Ajman town, about 40 pearling boats and a date-palm plantation there were the sole economic activities. From 1961 to the early 1970s, one of 'Ajman's main sources of revenue was from the sale of many varieties of postage stamps, designed to be of interest to Western collectors. These stamps were never shipped to 'Ajman and served no legitimate postal purpose; most were not recognized by reliable philatelic organizations and catalogs. Some commemorative coins were also issued. In 1972, the United Arab Emirates announced the establishment of a post office department, to take over philatelic emissions from member emirates. Much of the emirate's revenue is provided by grants from the oil-rich member emirate of Abu Dhabi; 'Ajman town now boasts a modern ruler's palace and includes other up-to-date structures. The deepening of the creek at 'Ajman town in order to provide deepwater port facilities was undertaken during the 1970s, and a prefabricated-housing factory was built. There is also a ship repair yard. 'Ajman's interior exclaves have some agriculture; al-Manamah has a camp of the national defense forces, and Masfut has deposits of high-quality marble. The state has little commerce and industry. Foreign aid from Kuwait has helped in the establishment of a few schools. Petroleum concessions have been granted to Western companies, but no oil has been found. 'Ajman town is connected by paved road with Dubayy town and Ra's al-Khaymah town. Pop. (1985 prelim.) 64,318.
Britannica English vocabulary. Английский словарь Британика. 2012