Meaning of IMPROVEMENT in English
im ‧ prove ‧ ment S3 W2 /ɪmˈpruːvmənt/ BrE AmE noun
[ Word Family: verb : ↑ improve ; noun : ↑ improvement ; adjective : ↑ improved ]
1 . [uncountable and countable] the act of improving something, or the state of being improved
There’s been a big improvement in the children’s behaviour.
an improvement on earlier models
We need to carry out some improvements to the system.
Our results have shown some improvement this month.
2 . [countable] a change or addition that improves something:
Are you making some improvements to your home?
• • •
COLLOCATIONS (for Meanings 1 & 2)
▪ be an improvement (on something)
This version of the software is a clear improvement on its predecessor.
▪ see/notice an improvement
After taking the tablets, he noticed some improvement in his energy levels.
▪ show an improvement
The sales figures show a major improvement.
▪ represent an improvement (=be an improvement)
A pre-tax profit of 4.3 million pounds represents a 5% improvement on last year.
▪ a big improvement
The situation today is a big improvement on the 1980s.
▪ a great/vast/major improvement (=very big)
The new computer system was a vast improvement.
▪ a dramatic improvement (=very big and quick)
With the new treatment we saw a dramatic improvement in his condition.
▪ a significant/substantial/considerable improvement (=quite big)
There has been a considerable improvement in trading conditions.
▪ a marked/noticeable improvement (=that people can notice)
Joanna's work showed a marked improvement.
▪ a slight improvement
Sales figures have shown a slight improvement this month.
▪ a gradual improvement
There has been a gradual improvement in educational standards.
▪ a general improvement
There has been a general improvement in the standard of living.
▪ a continuous/steady improvement (=happening slowly and gradually)
The following two seasons saw a steady improvement in the team's performance.
▪ further improvement (=more improvement)
We feel there is room for further improvement.
▪ signs of improvement
The patient is showing signs of improvement.
▪ room for improvement (=the possibility that something could be done better)
There's room for improvement in the way the tickets are sold.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Longman - Словарь современного английского языка. 2012