Meaning of ALARM in English
noun a sudden attack; disturbance; broil.
2. alarm ·vt to keep in excitement; to disturb.
3. alarm ·noun a summons to arms, as on the approach of an enemy.
4. alarm ·noun a mechanical contrivance for awaking persons from sleep, or rousing their attention; an alarum.
5. alarm ·vt to surprise with apprehension of danger; to fill with anxiety in regard to threatening evil; to excite with sudden fear.
6. alarm ·noun any sound or information intended to give notice of approaching danger; a warning sound to arouse attention; a warning of danger.
7. alarm ·vt to call to arms for defense; to give notice to (any one) of approaching danger; to rouse to vigilance and action; to put on the alert.
8. alarm ·noun sudden surprise with fear or terror excited by apprehension of danger; in the military use, commonly, sudden apprehension of being attacked by surprise.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012