Meaning of FIGURE in English
noun to embellish.
2. figure ·noun to indicate by numerals; also, to compute.
3. figure ·noun to embellish with design; to adorn with figures.
4. figure ·noun the form of anything; shape; outline; appearance.
5. figure ·noun to represent by a metaphor; to signify or symbolize.
6. figure ·noun any one of the several regular steps or movements made by a dancer.
7. figure ·noun a horoscope; the diagram of the aspects of the astrological houses.
8. figure ·noun to prefigure; to foreshow.
9. figure ·noun a character or symbol representing a number; a numeral; a digit; as, 1, 2,3, ·etc.
10. figure ·noun the form of a syllogism with respect to the relative position of the middle term.
11. figure ·noun distinguished appearance; magnificence; conspicuous representation; splendor; show.
12. figure ·vt to make a figure; to be distinguished or conspicious; as, the envoy figured at court.
13. figure ·noun value, as expressed in numbers; price; as, the goods are estimated or sold at a low figure.
14. figure ·noun the appearance or impression made by the conduct or carrer of a person; as, a sorry figure.
15. figure ·noun to write over or under the bass, as figures or other characters, in order to indicate the accompanying chords.
xvi. figure ·noun a form of melody or accompaniment kept up through a strain or passage; a musical or motive; a florid embellishment.
xvii. figure ·noun any short succession of notes, either as melody or as a group of chords, which produce a single complete and distinct impression.
xviii. figure ·noun a pattern in cloth, paper, or other manufactured article; a design wrought out in a fabric; as, the muslin was of a pretty figure.
xix. figure ·noun a person, thing, or action, conceived of as analogous to another person, thing, or action, of which it thus becomes a type or representative.
xx. figure ·vt to calculate; to contrive; to scheme; as, he is figuring to secure the nomination.
xxi. figure ·noun to represent by a figure, as to form or mold; to make an image of, either palpable or ideal; also, to fashion into a determinate form; to shape.
xxii. figure ·noun the representation of any form, as by drawing, painting, modeling, carving, embroidering, ·etc.; especially, a representation of the human body; as, a figure in bronze; a figure cut in marble.
xxiii. figure ·noun a mode of expressing abstract or immaterial ideas by words which suggest pictures or images from the physical world; pictorial language; a trope; hence, any deviation from the plainest form of statement.
xxiv. figure ·noun a diagram or drawing; made to represent a magnitude or the relation of two or more magnitudes; a surface or space inclosed on all sides;
called superficial when inclosed by lines, and solid when inclosed by surface; any arrangement made up of points, lines, angles, surfaces, ·etc.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012