Meaning of MAT in English
vt to cover or lay with mats.
2. mat ·adj cast down; dejected; overthrown; slain.
3. mat ·vi to grow thick together; to become interwoven or felted together like a mat.
4. mat ·noun a name given by coppersmiths to an alloy of copper, tin, iron, ·etc., usually called white metal.
5. mat ·vt to twist, twine, or felt together; to interweave into, or like, a mat; to entangle.
6. mat ·noun anything growing thickly, or closely interwoven, so as to resemble a mat in form or texture; as, a mat of weeds; a mat of hair.
7. mat ·noun an ornamental border made of paper, pasterboard, metal, ·etc., put under the glass which covers a framed picture; as, the mat of a daguerreotype.
8. mat ·noun any similar fabric for various uses, as for covering plant houses, putting beneath dishes or lamps on a table, securing rigging from friction, and the like.
9. mat ·noun a fabric of sedge, rushes, flags, husks, straw, hemp, or similar material, used for wiping and cleaning shoes at the door, for covering the floor of a hall or room, and for other purposes.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012