Meaning of ACCIDENT in English
/ak"si deuhnt/ , n.
1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.
2. Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.
3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.
4. chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident.
5. a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth.
6. Philos. any entity or event contingent upon the existence of something else.
7. Geol. a surface irregularity, usually on a small scale, the reason for which is not apparent.
[ 1350-1400; ME accident- (s. of accidens happening, prp. of accidere to befall), equiv. to ac- AC- + -cid-, comb. form of cad- fall + -ent- -ENT ]
Syn. 1. mischance, misfortune, misadventure; contingency; disaster.
Ant. 4. design, intent.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012