Meaning of ALIVE in English
— aliveness , n.
/euh luyv"/ , adj.
1. having life; living; existing; not dead or lifeless.
2. living (used for emphasis): the proudest man alive.
3. in a state of action; in force or operation; active: to keep hope alive.
4. full of energy and spirit; lively: Grandmother's more alive than most of her contemporaries.
5. having the quality of life; vivid; vibrant: The room was alive with color.
6. Elect. live 2 (def. 17).
7. alive to , alert or sensitive to; aware of: City planners are alive to the necessity of revitalizing deteriorating neighborhoods.
8. alive with , filled with living things; swarming; teeming: The room was alive with mosquitoes.
9. look alive! pay attention! move quickly!: Look alive! We haven't got all day.
[ bef. 1000; ME; OE on life in LIFE; see A- 1 ]
Syn. 4. active.
Ant. 1. dead. 3. defunct. 4. lifeless.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012