Meaning of ARBITRARY in English
— arbitrarily /ahr"bi trer'euh lee, ahr'bi trair"-/ , adv. — arbitrariness , n.
/ahr"bi trer'ee/ , adj., n., pl. arbitraries .
1. subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion: an arbitrary decision.
2. decided by a judge or arbiter rather than by a law or statute.
3. having unlimited power; uncontrolled or unrestricted by law; despotic; tyrannical: an arbitrary government.
4. capricious; unreasonable; unsupported: an arbitrary demand for payment.
5. Math. undetermined; not assigned a specific value: an arbitrary constant.
6. arbitraries , Print. (in Britain) peculiar (def. 9).
[ 1400-50; late ME arbitrarius uncertain (i.e., depending on an arbiter's decision). See ARBITER, -ARY ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012