Meaning of BANDY in English
— bandiness , n.
/ban"dee/ , v. , bandied, bandying , adj., n., pl. bandies .
1. to pass from one to another or back and forth; give and take; trade; exchange: to bandy blows; to bandy words.
2. to throw or strike to and fro or from side to side, as a ball in tennis.
3. to circulate freely: to bandy gossip.
4. (of legs) having a bend or crook outward; bowed: a new method for correcting bandy legs.
5. an early form of tennis.
6. Chiefly Brit. (formerly) hockey or shinny.
7. Obs. a hockey or shinny stick.
[ 1570-80; perh. bandear to conduct, bandy, orig. help, serve as member of a band of men. See BAND 1 ]
Syn. 1. reciprocate, interchange, swap, barter.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012