Meaning of BASKET in English
— basketlike , adj.
/bas"kit, bah"skit/ , n.
1. a container made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
2. a container made of pieces of thin veneer, used for packing berries, vegetables, etc.
3. the amount contained in a basket; a basketful: to pick a basket of apples.
4. anything like a basket in shape or use: He never empties my wastepaper basket.
5. any group of things or different things grouped as a unit; a package; package deal: You can't buy the single stock; you have to take the basket - all companies, stocks and bonds.
6. the car or gondola suspended beneath a balloon, as for carrying passengers or scientific instruments into the atmosphere.
a. an open net suspended from a metal rim attached to the backboard and through which the ball must pass in order for a player to score points.
b. a score, counting two for a field goal and one for a free throw.
8. Also called snow ring . Skiing. a ring strapped to the base of a ski pole to limit penetration of the pole in the snow.
9. Slang ( vulgar ). the male genitals, esp. when outlined by a tight-fitting garment.
[ 1250-1300; ME basket ( te ) baskauta ( > F dial. bâchot, bachou wooden or interwoven vessel, OHG baskiza box) bascauda basin, perh.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012