Meaning of BREAD in English
— breadless , adj. — breadlessness , n.
/bred/ , n.
1. a kind of food made of flour or meal that has been mixed with milk or water, made into a dough or batter, with or without yeast or other leavening agent, and baked.
2. food or sustenance; livelihood: to earn one's bread.
3. Slang. money.
4. Eccles. the wafer or bread used in a Eucharistic service.
5. break bread ,
a. to eat a meal, esp. in companionable association with others.
b. to distribute or participate in Communion.
6. cast one's bread upon the waters , to act generously or charitably with no thought of personal gain.
7. know which side one's bread is buttered on , to be aware of those things that are to one's own advantage.
8. take the bread out of someone's mouth , to deprive someone of livelihood.
9. Cookery. to cover with breadcrumbs or meal.
[ bef. 950; 1950-55 for def. 3; ME breed, OE bread fragment, morsel, bread; c. G Brot ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012