Meaning of BREAKER in English
/bray"keuhr/ , n.
1. a person or thing that breaks.
2. a wave that breaks or dashes into foam.
3. CB Radio Slang. a person who indicates a wish to transmit a message, as by breaking in on a channel.
4. Also called breaker strip . Auto. a strip of fabric under the tread of a pneumatic tire casing, designed to protect the carcass.
a. brake 1 (def. 4).
b. a machine that separates the fiber from foreign matter in preparation for the carding process.
6. Also called prairie breaker . a plow with a long, low moldboard for turning virgin land.
7. Elect. See circuit breaker .
a. a building where coal delivered from a mine is broken up and sorted.
b. a machine that reduces large lumps of coal or ore to a size that can be accommodated by a conveyor belt.
9. a break dancer.
10. CB Radio Slang. (used to announce that a person is about to transmit a message or question on a channel, esp. one already in use.)
[ 1125-75; ME; see BREAK, -ER 1 ]
Syn. 2. See wave .
/bray"keuhr/ , n. Naut.
a small water cask for use in a boat.
[ 1825-35; said to be alter. of Sp bareca, var. of barrica small keg ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012