Meaning of CART in English
— cartable , adj. — carter , n.
/kahrt/ , n.
1. a heavy two-wheeled vehicle, commonly without springs, drawn by mules, oxen, or the like, used for the conveyance of heavy goods.
2. a light two-wheeled vehicle with springs, drawn by a horse or pony.
3. any small vehicle pushed or pulled by hand.
4. Obs. a chariot.
5. on the water cart , Brit. See wagon (def. 12).
6. put the cart before the horse , to do or place things in improper order; be illogical.
7. to haul or convey in or as if in a cart or truck: to cart garbage to the dump.
8. to drive a cart.
9. cart off or away , to transport or take away in an unceremonious manner: The police came and carted him off to jail.
[ bef. 900; ME cart ( e ), OE craet (by metathesis); c. ON kartr cart ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012