Meaning of COMBINATION in English
— combinational , adj.
/kom'beuh nay"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act of combining or the state of being combined.
2. a number of things combined: a combination of ideas.
3. something formed by combining: A chord is a combination of notes.
4. an alliance of persons or parties: a combination in restraint of trade.
5. the set or series of numbers or letters used in setting the mechanism of a combination lock.
6. the parts of the mechanism operated by this.
7. Often, combinations . a suit of underwear in one piece.
a. the arrangement of elements into various groups without regard to their order in the group.
b. a group thus formed. Cf. permutation (def. 1).
[ 1350-1400; ME combinacyoun ( combination- (s. of combinatio ), equiv. to combinat ( us ) combined (see COMBINE, -ATE 1 ) + -ion- -ION ]
Syn. 1. association, conjunction, union, coalescence, blending. 2. mixture, amalgamation, amalgam. 4. association, federation, league, coalition, cartel, combine, monopoly, bloc, cabal, conspiracy.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012