Meaning of COMPARTMENT in English
/keuhm pahrt"meuhnt/ , n.
1. a part or space marked or partitioned off.
2. a separate room, section, etc.: a baggage compartment.
3. U.S. Railroads. a private bedroom with toilet facilities.
4. a separate aspect, function, or the like: the compartments of the human mind.
5. Archit. a distinct major division of a design.
6. Heraldry. a decorative base, as a grassy mound, on which the supporters of an escutcheon stand or rest.
7. to divide into compartments.
[ 1555-65; compartiment compartimento. See COMPART, -MENT ]
Syn. 1. division, section. 1, 2 . See apartment .
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012