Meaning of COMPREHENSIVE in English
— comprehensively , adv. — comprehensiveness , n.
/kom'pri hen"siv/ , adj.
1. of large scope; covering or involving much; inclusive: a comprehensive study of world affairs.
2. comprehending mentally; having an extensive mental range or grasp.
3. Insurance. covering or providing broad protection against loss.
4. Often, comprehensives . Also called comprehensive examination . an examination of extensive coverage given to measure a student's general progress, proficiency in his or her major field of study, or the like.
5. the detailed layout of an advertisement, showing placement of photographs, illustrations, copy, etc., as for presentation to a client. Cf. visual (def. 7).
[ 1605-15; comprehensivus. See COMPREHENSION, -IVE ]
Syn. 1. broad, wide, extensive, full.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012