Meaning of CONSCIOUSNESS in English
/kon"sheuhs nis/ , n.
1. the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
2. the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people: the moral consciousness of a nation.
3. full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness after fainting.
4. awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
5. concern, interest, or acute awareness: class consciousness.
6. the mental activity of which a person is aware as contrasted with unconscious mental processes.
7. Philos. the mind or the mental faculties as characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.
8. raise one's consciousness , to increase one's awareness and understanding of one's own needs, behavior, attitudes, etc., esp. as a member of a particular social or political group.
[ 1625-35; CONSCIOUS + -NESS ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012