Meaning of GLOBE in English
— globelike , adj.
/glohb/ , n. , v. , globed, globing .
1. the planet Earth (usually prec. by the ).
2. a planet or other celestial body.
3. a sphere on which is depicted a map of the earth (terrestrial globe) or of the heavens (celestial globe) .
4. a spherical body; sphere.
5. anything more or less spherical, as a lampshade or a glass fishbowl.
6. a golden ball traditionally borne as an emblem of sovereignty; orb.
7. to form into a globe.
8. to take the form of a globe.
[ 1400-50; late ME globe globus round body, ball, sphere ]
Syn. 1. See earth .
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012