Meaning of HEIGHTEN in English
— heightener , n.
/huyt"n/ , v.t.
1. to increase the height of; make higher.
2. to increase the degree or amount of; augment: Cézanne's death heightened the value of his paintings.
3. to strengthen, deepen, or intensify: to heighten the plot of a story; to heighten one's awareness or appreciation; to heighten one's suffering.
4. to bring out the important features of, as in a drawing: to heighten a picture with Chinese white.
5. to become higher.
6. to increase: The tension heightened as the enemy forces advanced.
7. to brighten or become more intense.
[ 1515-25; HEIGHT + -EN 1 ]
Syn. 1. See elevate .
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012