Meaning of JAMES in English
/jaymz/ , n.
1. Also called James the Great . one of the 12 apostles, the son of Zebedee and brother of the apostle John. Matt. 4:21.
2. the person identified in Gal. 1:19 as a brother of Jesus: probably the author of the Epistle of St. James.
3. Also called James the Less . ( "James the son of Alphaeus" ) one of the 12 apostles. Matt. 10:3; Mark 3:18; Luke 6:15.
4. Alice , 1848-92, U.S. diarist, sister of Henry and William James.
5. Daniel, Jr . (" Chappie "), 1920-78, U.S. Air Force officer: first black general.
6. Henry , 1811-82, U.S. philosopher and author (father of Henry and William James).
7. Henry , 1843-1916, U.S. novelist and critic in England (brother of William James).
8. Jesse (Woodson) /wood"seuhn/ , 1847-82, U.S. outlaw and legendary figure.
9. Will , 1892-1942, U.S. author and illustrator.
10. William , 1842-1910, U.S. psychologist and pragmatist philosopher (brother of Henry James).
11. a river flowing E from the W part of Virginia to Chesapeake Bay. 340 mi. (547 km) long.
12. a river flowing S from central North Dakota through South Dakota to the Missouri River. 710 mi. (1143 km) long.
13. one of the books of the New Testament. Abbr.: Jas.
14. a male given name.
[ ME Jame ( s ) Jacomus, for * Jacobus, alter. of LL Jacobus JACOB; cf. Sp Jaime, It Giacomo ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012