Meaning of LAYOUT in English
/lay"owt'/ , n.
1. an arrangement or plan: We objected to the layout of the house.
2. the act of laying or spreading out.
3. a plan or sketch, as of an advertisement or a page of a newspaper or magazine, indicating the arrangement and relationship of the parts, as of type and artwork.
4. (in advertising, publishing, etc.) the technique, process, or occupation of making layouts.
5. Journalism. spread (def. 34).
6. Informal. a place, as of residence or business, and the features that go with it; a setup: a fancy layout with a swimming pool and a tennis court.
7. Informal. a display or spread, as of dishes at a meal.
8. a collection or set of tools, implements, or the like.
9. Cards. an arrangement of cards dealt according to a given pattern, as in solitaire.
10. Diving , Gymnastics. a body position in which one is fully extended and arched backward, with the legs together and straight, the head thrown back, and the arms extended sideways. Cf. pike 7 , tuck 1 (def. 14).
[ 1840-50, Amer.; n. use of v. phrase lay out ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012