Meaning of PEBBLE in English
/peb"euhl/ , n. , v. , pebbled, pebbling .
1. a small, rounded stone, esp. one worn smooth by the action of water.
2. Also called pebble leather . leather that has been given a granulated surface.
3. any granulated or crinkled surface, esp. of a textile.
4. a transparent colorless rock crystal used for the lenses of eyeglasses.
5. a lens made from this crystal.
6. to prepare (leather) so as to have a granulated surface.
7. to pelt with or as with pebbles.
[ 1250-1300; ME pibbil, puble, pobble; cf. OE paebbel (in place names), papel-, popel- (in compounds); phonological relations unclear ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012