Meaning of PRIOR in English
— priorly , adv.
/pruy"euhr/ , adj.
1. preceding in time or in order; earlier or former; previous: A prior agreement prevents me from accepting this.
2. preceding in importance or privilege.
3. prior to , preceding; before: Prior to that time, buffalo had roamed the Great Plains in tremendous numbers.
4. Informal. a prior conviction.
[ 1705-15; ]
Syn. 1. anterior, antecedent.
— priorship , n.
/pruy"euhr/ , n.
1. an officer in a monastic order or religious house, sometimes next in rank below an abbot.
2. a chief magistrate, as in the medieval republic of Florence.
[ bef. 1100; ME, late OE prior PRIOR 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012