Meaning of RADIAL in English
— radiality , n. — radially , adv.
/ray"dee euhl/ , adj.
1. arranged like radii or rays.
2. having spokes, bars, lines, etc., arranged like radii, as a machine.
3. made in the direction of a radius; going from the center outward or from the circumference inward along a radius: a radial cut.
4. Zool. pertaining to structures that radiate from a central point, as the arms of a starfish.
5. of, like, or pertaining to a radius or a ray.
a. having pistons moving inward and outward from a central point or shaft: a radial engine; a radial pump.
b. noting a bearing designed primarily to take thrusts radial to the center of rotation.
7. Anat. , Entomol. of, pertaining to, or situated near the radius.
8. acting along or in the direction of the radius of a circle: radial motion; radial velocity.
9. a radial section or construction.
10. Auto. See radial tire .
[ 1560-70; radialis, equiv. to L radi ( us ) beam, ray (see RADIUS) + -alis -AL 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012