Meaning of SLIVER in English
— sliverlike , adj.
/sliv"euhr/ , n.
1. a small, slender, often sharp piece, as of wood or glass, split, broken, or cut off, usually lengthwise or with the grain; splinter.
2. any small, narrow piece or portion: A sliver of sky was visible.
3. a strand of loose, untwisted fibers produced in carding.
4. to split or cut off (a sliver) or to split or cut into slivers: to sliver a log into kindling.
5. to form (textile fibers) into slivers.
6. to split.
[ 1325-75; ME slivere (n.), deriv. of sliven to split, OE -slifan (in toslifan to split up ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012