Meaning of VANE in English
— vaned , adj. — vaneless , adj.
/vayn/ , n.
1. See weather vane .
2. a blade, plate, sail, etc., in the wheel of a windmill, to be moved by the air.
3. any of a number of blades or plates attached radially to a rotating drum or cylinder, as in a turbine or pump, that move or are moved by a fluid, as steam, water, hot gases, or air.
4. a person who is readily changeable or fickle.
a. any fixed or movable plane surface on the outside of a rocket providing directional control while the rocket is within the atmosphere.
b. a similar plane surface located in the exhaust jet of a reaction engine, providing directional control while the engine is firing.
6. Ornith. the web of a feather. See illus. under feather .
7. Navig. , Survey. either of two fixed projections for sighting an alidade or the like.
8. Archery. feather (def. 5).
[ bef. 1100; ME; OE fana flag; c. G Fahne flag, Goth fana segment of cloth; cf. GONFANON ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012