formerly (until 1913) Ta-chien-lu, also spelled Tatsienlu, Pinyin Kangding, Tibetan Darrtse-mdo, or Dardo town in western Szechwan sheng (province), China. K'ang-ting is on the T'o River, a tributary of the Ta-tu River, 62 miles (100 km) west of Ya-an on the main route from Szechwan into the Tibetan Autonomous Region. Lying at an elevation of 8,400 feet (2,560 m), it is situated in a wild mountainous region with a mixed Chinese and Tibetan population. Until the Sung period (9601279) the area was beyond Chinese control. In the 10th century a Chinese commissioner was stationed there, although the autonomy of the local Tibetan population was recognized. At that time the town was primarily a market in which Chinese merchants traded with Tibetan merchants in tea and cloth. In 1908 the site was accorded regular administrative status under the name of K'ang-ting Fu; it became a county in 1912. When Hsi-k'ang province was established after 1928, K'ang-ting became the provincial capital and remained so until 1950, when the provincial seat was moved to Ya-an. Hsi-k'ang province was abolished in 1955. Since 1949 K'ang-ting has established a hydroelectric plant and has developed some handicraft industries. It also has a wool-dressing plant, hand-loomed textile production, and tea processing. The town also remains a centre for Chinese relations with the Tibetans of the western Szechwan highlands. Pop. (mid-1980s est.) 10,00050,000.
Meaning of K'ANG-TING in English
Britannica English vocabulary. Английский словарь Британика. 2012