/snarf/ 1. To grab, especially to grab a large document or file for the purpose of using it with or without the author's permission.
See also BLT .
2. ( Unix ) To fetch a file or set of files across a network.
See also blast .
3. To acquire, with little concern for legal forms or politesse (but not quite by stealing). "They were giving away samples, so I snarfed a bunch of them."
4. Synonym for slurp . "This program starts by snarfing the entire database into core."
5. ( GEnie ) To spray food or programming fluid s due to laughing at the wrong moment. This sense appears to be widespread among mundane teenagers - ESR.
6. This term was mainstream in the late 1960s, meaning "to eat piggishly". It may still have this connotation in context.
7. A creature on the Thundercats, fond of eating, usually covertly.
[ Jargon File ]