Meaning of COMPETITION in English
↑ COMPETE WITH
↑ TAKE PART/BE INVOLVED
▷ competition /ˌkɒmpɪˈtɪʃ ə n, ˌkɒmpəˈtɪʃ ə nǁˌkɑːm-/ [countable noun]
an organized event in which people try to do an activity or sport better than other people, especially in order to win a prize :
▪ He was awarded first prize in the National Poetry Competition.
▪ A spelling bee is a competition in which people try to correctly spell words.
win a competition
▪ A student from St. Paul won the speechwriting competition.
enter a competition
be in a competition
▪ Enter our free competition and win a weekend in Paris.
competition to do something
▪ They’re holding a competition to come up with a name for the new bridge.
hold/have a competition
▪ The company developing the site had held a competition to find a master-planner.
▷ championship /ˈtʃæmpiənʃɪp/ [countable noun]
an important sports event in which players or teams play against each other to decide who is the best in an area, the country, or the world :
▪ The sixth game of the World Chess Championship will be broadcast tonight on Channel 6.
win a championship
▪ At 17, he was the youngest player to win the Men’s Tennis Championship.
state/national/world etc championship
▪ Gutierrez said he has a plan he hopes will carry him through to his first world championship.
▷ tournament /ˈtʊəʳnəmənt/ [countable noun]
a competition in a sport or game in which each player or team plays a series of games until one person or team wins :
▪ an international golf tournament
▪ There’s a volleyball tournament at Sunset Park which begins today.
win a tournament
▪ Telford won the local five-a-side football tournament.
▷ contest /ˈkɒntestǁˈkɑːn-/ [countable noun]
a competition in which a person or team does an activity, and a group of judges decide which of them is the best :
▪ The event, held every four years in Fort Worth, Texas, is the country’s leading piano contest.
enter a contest
▪ Jake always enters the arm-wrestling contest at the local fair.
enter somebody in/for a contest
▪ Harriet decided to enter Henry in the cute baby contest.
win a contest
▪ Jack always wins the pub’s karaoke contest.
a contest in which judges decide who is the most beautiful woman
▪ She won several beauty contests when she was in her early twenties.
Longman Activator English vocab. Английский словарь Longman активатор . 2012