1 official paper/book
▪ important , key
one of the key ~s in this case
▪ lengthy , long
▪ brief , short
▪ 10-page , etc.
▪ complete , entire , whole
This statement must be understood in the context of the entire ~.
The original ~ has been lost or destroyed.
▪ paper , printed , written
▪ published , unpublished
▪ attached , enclosed
Please sign the enclosed ~ and return it to me.
A constitution need not be a single ~.
▪ classified , confidential , privileged ( law ), secret , sensitive , top-secret
▪ declassified , public
Documents will be available at the news conference.
details of internal UN ~s
▪ signed , unsigned
▪ disclosed ( esp. BrE ), leaked
▪ authentic , genuine
▪ fake , false , forged , fraudulent ( esp. AmE ), phoney/phony ( esp. AmE )
▪ court , government , legal , official
▪ policy , strategy
Keep your travel ~s in a secure place.
▪ registration ( esp. BrE )
the car's registration ~ ( BrE )
▪ contract , offer ( BrE ), tender ( BrE ) ( all business )
He has promised to send out a formal offer ~ to shareholders by Monday.
▪ consultation ( BrE ), consultative ( BrE ), discussion , planning , working
The Department issued a consultation ~.
a working ~ in the discussions for a final treaty
▪ basic , framework ( esp. BrE )
▪ binding , contractual ( BrE )
A ~ signed in another country is as legally binding as one signed at home.
▪ constitutional , founding ( esp. AmE )
The 1840 treaty is widely regarded as New Zealand's founding ~.
… OF DOCUMENT
VERB + DOCUMENT
▪ draft , draw up , prepare , produce
The government has produced an important new policy ~.
▪ type , write
▪ disclose ( law ), issue , publish , release
a consultative ~ issued by the Department
▪ obtain , receive
Copies of the relevant ~s must be filed at court.
▪ hand sb , hand over , present , submit
Supporting ~s must be submitted to the supervisory authority.
▪ produce , show
He was unable to produce the ~ that he claimed would prove his case.
▪ circulate , send , send out
~s leaked from the government to the press
He was trying to destroy ~s that testified to his guilt.
▪ go through , read , read through
Go through the ~ checking for errors.
▪ search through
I had to search through 4 000 ~s to find the information I needed.
▪ consider , examine , study
▪ review ( esp. AmE )
▪ adopt , approve , execute ( law ), sign
The conference adopted a ~ on minority rights.
▪ refer to
▪ attach , enclose
The relevant ~s are enclosed for your information.
Existing paper ~s could be scanned into a computer.
DOCUMENT + VERB
▪ concern sth , deal with sth , focus on sth , relate to sth
▪ contain sth , cover sth , include sth
~s covering various points of concern
▪ refer to sth
▪ acknowledge sth , describe sth , detail sth , explain sth , indicate sth , list sth , note sth , outline sth , record sth , say sth , set out sth , state sth , tell sb sth
The ~ says they are against tax rebates.
▪ call for sth , propose sth , suggest sth
a ~ calling for a ceasefire
▪ reveal sth , show sth
▪ summarize sth
▪ confirm sth
▪ be called sth , be entitled sth , be headed sth
a ~ entitled ‘Guidelines for Good Practice’
▪ be written
The ~ is written in Chinese.
▪ be dated … , date back to … , date from …
~s dating back to the 1920s
The ~ is dated 775.
▪ according to a/the ~
According to leaked cabinet ~s, no compensation would be paid.
▪ in a/the ~
He particularly criticized the terminology in the ~.
▪ throughout a/the ~
There is a disclaimer throughout the official ~s.
▪ ~ about , ~ concerning
a ~ concerning arbitration procedures in Cairo
▪ ~ of
a ~ of 2 000 words
Her journal is an important ~ of 19th-century rural life
▪ ~ on
a government ~ on education policy
▪ a draft of a ~ , a version of a ~
▪ the authenticity of a ~
There is little reason to doubt the authenticity of this ~.
2 computer file
▪ HTML , XML , etc.
▪ hypertext , text
I saved my work and opened a new ~.
▪ active , current
Highlight a passage in the active ~ and click on the print icon.
VERB + DOCUMENT
▪ close , open
to display ~s on screen
▪ scroll through
Scroll through the ~ using the scroll bar.
a software tool for searching ~s
▪ create , generate
To create a new ~, select New from the File menu.
Save the ~ before closing.
▪ receive , send
Send and receive ~s at the click of a button.
▪ print , print out
▪ in a/the ~
Cut and paste is used to move text to a new place in the ~.
Document is used with these nouns as the subject: ↑ photograph , ↑ report , ↑ study
Document is used with these nouns as the object: ↑ change , ↑ effect , ↑ history , ↑ instance , ↑ occurrence