Meaning of INSPECTION in English
▪ careful , close , detailed , rigorous , thorough
▪ brief , casual , cursory
▪ periodic ( esp. AmE ), regular
▪ annual , daily , etc.
a surprise ~ of the premises by the health inspector
The records are open to public ~.
They have refused to allow international ~ of their nuclear facilities.
▪ manual , physical , visual
▪ school ( esp. BrE )
▪ home ( AmE ) (= done before buying a house)
The problem was not discovered during the home ~.
A standard home-inspection report summarizes the condition of the house.
the UN weapons ~ team
▪ on-site , site
Following an on-site ~, the surveyor prepared a written report on the property.
VERB + INSPECTION
▪ be available for , be open for , be open to , be subject to
A company's accounting records must be open for ~ at all times.
Nursing agencies are subject to ~ by the health authority.
All packages arriving at the building undergo an ~.
▪ carry out , complete , conduct , make , perform
The architect is carrying out a thorough ~ of the building.
▪ allow , permit
▪ prepare for
The hotel passed its annual ~.
The artwork requires close ~ by the viewer.
INSPECTION + VERB
▪ confirm sth , determine sth , reveal sth , show sth
A brief ~ revealed it to be a fake.
▪ suggest sth
▪ take place
INSPECTION + NOUN
▪ tour , visit
▪ procedure , process , regime ( esp. BrE )
▪ for ~
He held out the saucepan for ~.
▪ on ~ , upon ~
The report seemed impressive at first, but on closer ~ there were several inaccuracies.
▪ ~ by
an ~ of the troops by the commander-in-chief
▪ bear close ~ , bear ~
He knew that his motives would not bear close ~ (= would be revealed as bad if someone inspected them) .
▪ closer ~ reveals sth , closer ~ shows sth
a creature which closer ~ revealed to be a bat
▪ a tour of ~ ( esp. BrE )
Roman governors would normally go on a tour of ~ of their province.
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012