Meaning of BASIN in English
noun the quantity contained in a basin.
2. basin ·noun a hollow place containing water, as a pond, a dock for ships, a little bay.
3. basin ·noun a hollow vessel or dish, to hold water for washing, and for various other uses.
4. basin ·noun the entire tract of country drained by a river, or sloping towards a sea or lake.
5. basin ·noun a circular or oval valley, or depression of the surface of the ground, the lowest part of which is generally occupied by a lake, or traversed by a river.
6. basin ·noun a hollow vessel, of various forms and materials, used in the arts or manufactures, as that used by glass grinders for forming concave glasses, by hatters for molding a hat into shape, ·etc.
7. basin ·noun an isolated or circumscribed formation, particularly where the strata dip inward, on all sides, toward a center;
especially applied to the coal formations, called coal basins or coal fields.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012