Meaning of COTTON in English
noun cloth made of cotton.
2. cotton ·noun the cotton plant. ·see cotten plant, below.
3. cotton ·vi to rise with a regular nap, as cloth does.
4. cotton ·vi to go on prosperously; to succeed.
5. cotton ·vi to take a liking to; to stick to one as cotton;
used with to.
6. cotton ·vi to unite; to agree; to make friends;
usually followed by with.
7. cotton ·noun a soft, downy substance, resembling fine wool, consisting of the unicellular twisted hairs which grow on the seeds of the cotton plant. long-staple cotton has a fiber sometimes almost two inches long; short-staple, from two thirds of an inch to an inch and a half.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012