Meaning of CRANE in English
add. ·noun the american blue heron (ardea herodias).
2. crane ·noun a siphon, or bent pipe, for drawing liquors out of a cask.
3. crane ·noun a measure for fresh herrings, as many as will fill a barrel.
4. crane ·vt to cause to rise; to raise or lift, as by a crane;
5. crane ·vt to stretch, as a crane stretches its neck; as, to crane the neck disdainfully.
6. crane ·noun a forked post or projecting bracket to support spars, ·etc., generally used in pairs. ·see crotch, 2.
7. crane ·add. ·noun any arm which swings about a vertical axis at one end, used for supporting a suspended weight.
8. crane ·vi to reach forward with head and neck, in order to see better; as, a hunter cranes forward before taking a leap.
9. crane ·noun an iron arm with horizontal motion, attached to the side or back of a fireplace, for supporting kettles, ·etc., over a fire.
10. crane ·noun a wading bird of the genus grus, and allied genera, of various species, having a long, straight bill, and long legs and neck.
11. crane ·noun a machine for raising and lowering heavy weights, and, while holding them suspended, transporting them through a limited lateral distance. in one form it consists of a projecting arm or jib of timber or iron, a rotating post or base, and the necessary tackle, windlass, ·etc.;
so called from a fancied similarity between its arm and the neck of a crane ·see ·illust. of derrick.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012