noun a prologue indicating what follows.
2. index ·noun that which points out; that which shows, indicates, manifests, or discloses.
3. index ·noun the figure or letter which shows the power or root of a quantity; the exponent.
4. index ·noun the second digit, that next pollex, in the manus, or hand; the forefinger; index finger.
5. index ·vt to provide with an index or table of references; to put into an index; as, to index a book, or its contents.
6. index ·add. ·noun the ratio, or formula expressing the ratio, of one dimension of a thing to another dimension; as, the vertical index of the cranium.
7. index ·noun a table for facilitating reference to topics, names, and the like, in a book;
usually alphabetical in arrangement, and printed at the end of the volume.
8. index ·noun that which guides, points out, informs, or directs; a pointer or a hand that directs to anything, as the hand of a watch, a movable finger on a gauge, scale, or other graduated instrument. in printing, a sign used to direct particular attention to a note or paragraph;
called also fist.