Meaning of INDICATOR in English
noun the part of an instrument by which an effect is indicated, as an index or pointer.
2. indicator ·noun one who, or that which, shows or points out; as, a fare indicator in a street car.
3. indicator ·noun any bird of the genus indicator and allied genera. ·see honey guide, under honey.
4. indicator ·noun a telltale connected with a hoisting machine, to show, at the surface, the position of the cage in the shaft of a mine, ·etc.
5. indicator ·noun a pressure gauge; a water gauge, as for a steam boiler; an apparatus or instrument for showing the working of a machine or moving part.
6. indicator ·noun that which indicates the condition of acidity, alkalinity, or the deficiency, excess, or sufficiency of a standard reagent, by causing an appearance, disappearance, or change of color, as in titration or volumetric analysis.
7. indicator ·noun an instrument which draws a diagram showing the varying pressure in the cylinder of an engine or pump at every point of the stroke. it consists of a small cylinder communicating with the engine cylinder and fitted with a piston which the varying pressure drives upward more or less against the resistance of a spring. a lever imparts motion to a pencil which traces the diagram on a card wrapped around a vertical drum which is turned back and forth by a string connected with the piston rod of the engine. ·see indicator card (below).
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012