vt an instrument for drawing the charge of a cannon.
2. ladle ·vt the float of a mill wheel;
called also ladle board.
3. ladle ·vt a vessel to carry liquid metal from the furnace to the mold.
4. ladle ·vt a ring, with a handle or handles fitted to it, for carrying shot.
5. ladle ·vt a cuplike spoon, often of large size, with a long handle, used in lading or dipping.
6. ladle ·vt to take up and convey in a ladle; to dip with, or as with, a ladle; as, to ladle out soup; to ladle oatmeal into a kettle.