2. on ·prep at the peril of, or for the safety of.
3. on ·prep in progress; proceeding; as, a game is on.
4. on ·prep attached to the body, as clothing or ornament, or for use.
5. on ·prep at or in the time of; during; as, on sunday we abstain from labor. ·see at (synonym).
6. on ·prep in reference or relation to; as, on our part expect punctuality; a satire on society.
7. on ·prep forward, in progression; onward;
usually with a verb of motion; as, move on; go on.
8. on ·prep forward, in succession; as, from father to son, from the son to the grandson, and so on.
9. on ·prep occupied with; in the performance of; as, only three officers are on duty; on a journey.
10. on ·prep toward; for;
indicating the object of some passion; as, have pity or compassion on him.
11. on ·prep in the service of; connected with; of the number of; as, he is on a newspaper; on a committee.
12. on ·prep in continuance; without interruption or ceasing; as, sleep on, take your ease; say on; sing on.
13. on ·prep adhering; not off; as in the phrase, "he is neither on nor off," that is, he is not steady, he is irresolute.
14. on ·prep the general signification of on is situation, motion, or condition with respect to contact or support beneath.
15. on ·prep to the account of;
denoting imprecation or invocation, or coming to, falling, or resting upon; as, on us be all the blame; a curse on him.
xvi. on ·prep at or near; adjacent to;
indicating situation, place, or position; as, on the one hand, on the other hand; the fleet is on the american coast.
xvii. on ·prep to or against the surface of;
used to indicate the motion of a thing as coming or falling to the surface of another; as, rain falls on the earth.
xviii. on ·prep in addition to; besides;
indicating multiplication or succession in a series; as, heaps on heaps; mischief on mischief; loss on loss; thought on thought.
xix. on ·prep by virtue of; with the pledge of;
denoting a pledge or engagement, and put before the thing pledged; as, he affirmed or promised on his word, or on his honor.
xx. on ·prep indicating dependence or reliance; with confidence in; as, to depend on a person for assistance; to rely on; hence, indicating the ground or support of anything; as, he will promise on certain conditions; to bet on a horse.
xxi. on ·prep at, or in contact with, the surface or upper part of a thing, and supported by it; placed or lying in contact with the surface; as, the book lies on the table, which stands on the floor of a house on an island.
xxii. on ·prep at the time of, conveying some notion of cause or motive; as, on public occasions, the officers appear in full dress or uniform. hence, in consequence of, or following; as, on the ratification of the treaty, the armies were disbanded.
xxiii. on ·prep denoting performance or action by contact with the surface, upper part, or outside of anything; hence, by means of; with; as, to play on a violin or piano. hence, figuratively, to work on one's feelings; to make an impression on the mind.