Meaning of SHEARS in English
noun a pair of wings.
2. shears ·noun a cutting instrument.
3. shears ·noun anything in the form of shears.
4. shears ·noun a shearing machine; a blade, or a set of blades, working against a resisting edge.
5. shears ·noun a similar instrument the blades of which are extensions of a curved spring, used for shearing sheep or skins.
6. shears ·noun the bedpiece of a machine tool, upon which a table or slide rest is secured; as, the shears of a lathe or planer. ·see ·illust. under lathe.
7. shears ·noun an instrument consisting of two blades, commonly with bevel edges, connected by a pivot, and working on both sides of the material to be cut, used for cutting cloth and other substances.
8. shears ·noun an apparatus for raising heavy weights, and especially for stepping and unstepping the lower masts of ships. it consists of two or more spars or pieces of timber, fastened together near the top, steadied by a guy or guys, and furnished with the necessary tackle.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012