Meaning of VARIABLE in English
noun a shifting wind, or one that varies in force.
2. variable ·noun that which is variable; that which varies, or is subject to change.
3. variable ·noun those parts of the sea where a steady wind is not expected, especially the parts between the trade-wind belts.
4. variable ·adj liable to vary; too susceptible of change; mutable; fickle; unsteady; inconstant; as, the affections of men are variable; passions are variable.
5. variable ·adj having the capacity of varying or changing; capable of alternation in any manner; changeable; as, variable winds or seasons; a variable quantity.
6. variable ·noun a quantity which may increase or decrease; a quantity which admits of an infinite number of values in the same expression; a variable quantity; as, in the equation x2 - y2 r2, x and y are variables.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012