/euh luyn"meuhnt/ , n.
1. an adjustment to a line; arrangement in a straight line.
2. the line or lines so formed.
3. the proper adjustment of the components of an electronic circuit, machine, etc., for coordinated functioning: The front wheels of the car are out of alignment.
4. a state of agreement or cooperation among persons, groups, nations, etc., with a common cause or viewpoint.
5. a ground plan of a railroad or highway.
6. Archaeol. a line or an arrangement of parallel or converging lines of upright stones or menhirs.
Also, alinement .
[ 1780-90; ALIGN + -MENT; r. earlier alignement ]