Meaning of ALPHA in English
/al"feuh/ , n.
1. the first letter of the Greek alphabet (A).
2. the vowel sound represented by this letter.
3. the first; beginning.
4. ( cap. ) Astron. used to designate the brightest star in a constellation.
5. Chem. one of two or more isomeric compounds.
6. the first in a series of related items: frequently used in chemistry and physics.
7. Chiefly Brit. a mark or grade corresponding to an A. Cf. beta (def. 8), gamma (def. 9).
a. (esp. of animals) having the highest rank of its sex in a dominance hierarchy: the alpha female.
b. being the most prominent, talented, or aggressive person in a group: the alpha male of investment bankers.
9. Chem. pertaining or linked to the carbon atom closest to a particular group in an organic molecule.
[ álpha ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012