Meaning of AMPHIBIOUS in English
— amphibiously , adv. — amphibiousness , n.
/am fib"ee euhs/ , adj.
1. living or able to live both on land and in water; belonging to both land and water.
2. Also, amphibian . capable of operating on both land and water: amphibious vehicles.
3. of or pertaining to military operations by both land and naval forces against the same object, esp. to a military attack by troops landed by naval ships.
4. trained or organized to fight, or fighting, on both land and sea: amphibious troops.
5. combining two qualities, kinds, traits, etc.; of or having a mixed or twofold nature.
[ 1635-45; amphibius amphíbios living a double life. See AMPHI-, BIO-, -OUS ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012