Meaning of ASCENT in English
/euh sent"/ , n.
1. an act of ascending; upward movement; a rising movement: the ascent of a balloon.
2. movement upward from a lower to a higher state, degree, grade, or status; advancement: His ascent to the governorship came after a long political career.
3. the act of climbing or traveling up: Three climbers attempted the ascent of Mount Rainier.
4. the way or means of ascending; upward slope; acclivity.
5. a movement or return toward a source or beginning.
6. the degree of inclination; gradient: a steep ascent.
[ 1590-1600; deriv. of ASCEND, on the model of DESCENT ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012