Meaning of ASPHALT in English
— asphaltic , adj. — asphaltlike , adj.
/as"fawlt/ or, esp. Brit., /-falt/ , n.
1. any of various dark-colored, solid, bituminous substances, native in various areas of the earth and composed mainly of hydrocarbon mixtures.
2. a similar substance that is the by-product of petroleum-cracking operations.
3. a mixture of such substances with gravel, crushed rock, or the like, used for paving.
4. to cover or pave with asphalt.
5. of, pertaining to, or containing asphalt: asphalt tile.
[ 1275-1325; earlier asphaltos, -um ásphaltos, -on, akin to asphalízein to make firm, to secure; r. ME aspaltoun ásphalton ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012