2. Gram. complement.
5. county (used with a number to designate a county road): C55.
1. the third in order or in a series.
2. ( sometimes l.c. ) (in some grading systems) a grade or mark, as in school or college, indicating the quality of a student's work as fair or average.
a. the first tone, or keynote, in the scale of C major or the third tone in the relative minor scale, A minor.
b. a string, key, or pipe tuned to this tone.
c. a written or printed note representing this tone.
d. (in the fixed system of solmization) the first tone of the scale of C major, called do.
e. the tonality having C as the tonic note.
f. a symbol indicating quadruple time and appearing after the clef sign on a musical staff.
4. ( sometimes l.c. ) the Roman numeral for 100.
b. a battery size for 1.5 volt dry cells: diameter, 1 in. (2.5 cm); length, 1.9 in. (4.8 cm).
8. Chem. carbon.
a. charge conjugation.
b. charm 1 (def. 9).
11. Also, C-note . Slang. a hundred-dollar bill.
12. a proportional shoe width size, narrower than D and wider than B.
13. a proportional brassiere cup size, smaller than D and larger than B.
14. the lowest quality rating for a corporate or municipal bond.
15. Computers. a high-level programming language: very powerful and flexible, it is used in a wide variety of applications.