Meaning of CANONICAL in English
— canonically , adv.
/keuh non"i keuhl/ , adj. Also, canonic .
1. pertaining to, established by, or conforming to a canon or canons.
2. included in the canon of the Bible.
3. authorized; recognized; accepted: canonical works.
4. Math. (of an equation, coordinate, etc.) in simplest or standard form.
5. following the pattern of a musical canon.
6. Ling. (of a form or pattern) characteristic, general or basic: the canonical form of the past tense; a canonical syllable pattern.
7. canonicals , garments prescribed by canon law for clergy when officiating.
[ 1150-1200; ME ( canonicalis, equiv. to canonic ( us ) (see CANON 2 ) + -alis -AL 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012