Meaning of CANTILEVER in English
/kan"tl ee'veuhr, -ev'euhr/ , n.
1. any rigid structural member projecting from a vertical support, esp. one in which the projection is great in relation to the depth, so that the upper part is in tension and the lower part in compression.
2. Building Trades , Civ. Engin. any rigid construction extending horizontally well beyond its vertical support, used as a structural element of a bridge (cantilever bridge) , building foundation, etc.
3. Aeron. a form of wing construction in which no external bracing is used.
4. Archit. a bracket for supporting a balcony, cornice, etc.
5. to project in the manner of a cantilever.
6. to construct in the manner of a cantilever.
Also, cantalever, cantaliver .
[ 1660-70; perh. CANT 2 + -I- + LEVER ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012