Meaning of CHARCOAL in English
— charcoaly , adj.
/chahr"kohl'/ , n.
1. the carbonaceous material obtained by heating wood or other organic substances in the absence of air.
2. a drawing pencil of charcoal.
3. a drawing made with charcoal.
4. to blacken, write, or draw with charcoal.
5. to cook (food) over charcoal, esp. on a grill.
6. to cook food over charcoal, esp. on a grill.
[ 1300-50; ME charcole, perh. cherre CHAR 3 + cole COAL, though literal sense of the compound is unclear ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012