/keuhn dens"/ , v. , condensed, condensing .
1. to make more dense or compact; reduce the volume or extent of; concentrate.
2. to reduce to a shorter form; abridge: Condense your answer into a few words.
3. to reduce to another and denser form, as a gas or vapor to a liquid or solid state.
4. to become denser or more compact or concentrated.
5. to reduce a book, speech, statement, or the like, to a shorter form.
6. to become liquid or solid, as a gas or vapor: The steam condensed into droplets.
[ 1475-85; condenser condensare, equiv. to con- CON- + densare to thicken, v. deriv. of densus DENSE ]
Syn. 1. compress, consolidate. 2. digest, epitomize, abstract, abbreviate. See contract .
Ant. 1. expand.